Saturday, April 18, 2009

Oh what a beautiful day...




 



Today was one of the best days I have had in a very, very long time. In part, this must be attributed to the breathtakingly beautiful Spring weather; however, most of the credit goes to my darling husband and our dear friend Oz, who trained down from New York yesterday evening for a brief but wonderful 24-hour visit.

Last night, the three of us stayed up until 2am, just catching up and reminiscing. Today, we whiled away the day at Mount Vernon, soaking up some sun and history and togetherness. I must say, the feel of the sun on the skin has a way of brightening more than one's complexion. The red buds and cherry tree blossoms were out in full force, painting the vast estate's grounds in vibrant hues of reds and purples and pinks (which matched my nose and shoulders by the end of the day). Basking in the warmth, breathing the crisp, fresh air, and gazing out on the Potomac, I think we truly understood why George Washington almost turned down the presidency to remain at his home. I can't even begin to describe how much I enjoyed the day--I'll just note that, between the three of us, we must have proclaimed it beautiful about 30 different times before the sun went down.

This evening, after a quick visit to the White House and a scrumptious meal at our favorite Indian restaurant, we dropped Oz off at the train station. Although I usually despise such partings, and I did hate to see him go, I honestly couldn't muster up any sadness for the goodbye--I was too thankful for the sweet, simple, beautiful day.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: