Thursday, February 19, 2009

... And a minus about DC

A few days ago, unexplainedly, a bright pink list of every person in our office and their home zip codes landed on my office desk. I looked at it, briefly thought "why on earth are they giving me a list of zip codes?," and went about my business.

Apparently I was not the only one without a clue, because today we received the following memo:

There was a recent distribution of the Zip Code Report to all personnel. Those of you who have been with the Firm for years may recall the purpose of this report and that it is distributed quarterly as part of our Business Resumption Plan. For those who are unfamiliar with it , we offer the following explanation.

The report is provided to all personnel to facilitate the use of a "buddy system" for getting home in case of an emergency in which authorities ask us to evacuate the city. In such a scenario, it may prove useful for personnel living within the same zip code to have a plan for traveling together to get home.

Hopefully, we won't ever have to be in such a situation, but we still need to be prepared. So we urge you to develop your evacuation plan prior to such an emergency. The Zip Code Report is a tool to help you.


As you can see, I was not really able to go about my business after that one. Holy crap!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is the time to REALLY hope you're not in the same zip code as screaming-throwing-things guy?

And yeah, that's fairly freaky.

I'm thinking that KC would be utterly hosed in the event of an evacuation: we've only got a couple of major routes in/out, and they're usually under construction.

I'd better go buy more beer.