Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I Heart Visitors

One of the best things about living in DC: people want to come visit us!

During the entire time we resided at our palace in the frozen tundra, we received a grand sum total of three out-of-town visitors: Parents R., Cousin Kay, and Former Roommate Jennifer. Those visits were fantastic, but we were really starting to question our desirability, or at least marketability.

All that has changed, however, with our recent relocation to a new (and slightly less snowy) address. I guess it's true what they say in the hotel industry--"Location, Location, Location."

Before we even had started unpacking our boxes from the move, we had our first out-of-town visitor--Lawyer Lincoln. (We therefore dubbed our spare bedroom/office the "Lincoln Bedroom.") Soon thereafter, we got to entertain Mayor Mike and Former Roommate Jennifer, visiting from the land of Oz, and Sooner Karen, taking a break from Where the Wind Goes Sweeping Down the Plain. In early December, our Acquaintances from Australia put DC on their world tour, and we got to show them the sights and sounds of our nation's capitol. Sister Ami delighted us with a visit over Christmas and New Years. Last week, Other Former Roommate Jennifer and Boyfriend dropped in from the Tarheel state. This weekend we are expecting--completely independently--Ankur's Former Roommate Justin and my Former Roommate Cassy, both of KC(ish) fame. And next week, Best Friend Rachel (coincidentally, also a Former Roommate) will be gracing us with her presence. And that's all in only three months! (I guess I can't really complain about DC being lonely anymore, can I?)

To those of you who have visited, thanks a ton--we've loved having you. To those who have already booked your rooms for the coming weeks, we hope you have a pleasant stay. And to those of you who are thinking about visiting, there's a surprisingly comfy air matress with your name on it! But you better hurry... this hotel may be relocating to a new location sometime in the near future!

In an effort to encourage repeat customers, we would like to solicit some feedback from former visitors and suggestions from others. Where should we take our guests in this massive city? Our typical tour involves a night walk around the monuments, a scrumptious dinner at Regent Thai, and a trip to the National Archives and Natural History Museum, time permitting. But we would like to branch out. To previous guests: What worked? What didn't? To any of you current or former DC-ites: do you have any suggestions for cool and/or off-the-beaten-path venues in the area? Good dining? Fun daytrips?

(Yes, this is my devious plan to get you to post comments. Suggest away!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

your devious plan has worked:)

I have to recommend keeping Regent Thai on the agenda, although future visitors should be aware that no matter what Ankur may tell you, the green curry is hot enough to melt your eyeballs right out of your head.

I ended up doing an art museum and the Air and Space museum instead of Natural History and National Archives, but I'd also recommend keeping an assortment of museums in the plan.

Other places I ate were:
Five Guys (burger joint: awesomely huge, supremely greasy and very affordable)
Potbelly: yummy hoagies
Moby Dick: mediterranean fastfood (sort of), waaaay good.
Froggy Bottom Pub: I had a beer and half of a deep dish pizza, both of which were perfectly satisfying.

So dude, I ate a LOT. Also, before I forget: I loved your chai tea powder and weird Indian cereal spiced crunch stuff :D

Back to stuff to do: I would keep the night walk, too. If I come back/had the trip to do over, I would add some nightlife stuff (I went to zero bars and saw zero bands/shows, which is kind of a shame.) I would also do *more* museums and, if you know of one, a good local coffee or tea house. Because DC has a serious Starbucks infestation. I won't deny that coffee that's strong like crack is useful to sleep deprived travelers. But every corner? Really?

However, I should mention that the best benefit of coming to visit you guys was, you know, VISITING YOU GUYS. It was great to see you both. I wish I had provided a little more notice, and I was glad that we were able to get to hang out when we did.

So there: that's my review of Hotel Yellow Gondola. Lots of stars. And a few hearts too:)

M&A said...

Awww, thanks leftarrow! We especially heart nice visitors who leave nice comments. I'm glad you had a good time. And I sincerely apologize for the eyeball melting. Hope to see you again soon!