Friday, June 24, 2011

From the streets of Ahmedabad

I had a chance to peruse the streets today. It's so overwhelming that I don't really know how to describe it at the moment, so I'm just going to let it percolate before I write about life on the streets.

Instead, I'll focus on my quick retail experience. Shopping here is an amazing experience -- you get the full focus and attention of their knowledgeable staff and are treated as though you actually matter. It's quite gratifying. The choice of product (in our case, fabric) is incredibly vast with varying degrees of quality based on your budget.

As soon as you approach the store, they open the door for you (these are individual boutique type stores and not large retail chains). Often, someone will offer you water - not by asking you if you want some, but it will just arrive on a tray within minutes of you starting to look around. As a side note, I kindly thank them for the offer and never drink the water because I'm trying to be very vigilant about where I eat and drink to avoid acquiring any superbugs. It's really just a personal precaution and not a statement of the hygiene.

The retail experience is pretty cool too. In our case, the sales guys showed us fabric after fabric after fabric based on what we wanted, etc. As an experiment, I have a shirt being tailor made for me. It will take them 3 days. So, we'll see how they do, but I'm confident it will be well done. So, how much would you pay for a tailor made shirt? Add your guesses to the comments section. I'll report back with the price and a picture once I get it and it's satisfactory.

Attached are some pictures from the lively streets. For a larger/clearer view, click on each one.









1 comment:

RenoRanger said...

Im not sure how much I would pay for a personally tailored shirt. I probably would not even try to purchase one figuring the cost here in the States would be rediculous.

That said, if I had to purchase one, I would not be surprised if the bill was around $300.