Tuesday, June 21, 2011

India, here I come

We have not written in a while. I intend to remedy that.

Today is the longest day in the northern hemisphere, a.k.a. the summer solstice. But, it's also more. Much more. Today is also the day I travel to India. Some would call it the motherland. Indeed, it is my forefathers' and foremothers' land, and today I get to go after almost two decades. To be clear, I was not born in India and for all practical purposes, I have never been there. I was there at the ages of 3 and then again at 9, each time for a few weeks, the perfect ages when we all make good solid long-term memories, right? Now, in my late 20s, it's time to make another (a first) visit. The primary reason to have booked this trip is to see my parents who now reside there.

I have been cogitating about this trip for a long, long time. India has only recently come to the forefront of many people's vocabulary due to its rapidly emerging economy as well as its overpopulated land (four times the population of the US, or 1.2 billion, in a third of the space). I have always heard about the extremes of the place: it has some of the world's top 10 richest people along with millions of the worlds poorest. The health statistics are out of this world in terms of the number of mortalities from easily preventable diseases, yet with exquisite medical technology that draws people from the west for 'medical tourism.' There are hundreds of different languages (not dialects, but completely different languages); a myriad of cultures and religions, as well as a gazillion superstitions that follow from this. It's really a miracle to be where it is as the world's largest democracy standing (if you really want to debate this fact, I welcome it). The Gates foundation has dedicated a lot of resources there, yet another reason for the country's prominence in the mainstream. In short, India's mere existence today has been described as a miracle by Ramachandra Guha (see http://amzn.to/miwGfO), and captures everyone's senses from the moment they step into the country.

I have prepared myself for the juxtraposition of extreme poverty and immense opulence of which I hear. I look forward to experiencing the plethora of food and cultural diveristy; I want to see my great-grandfather's small farm (which still produces crops and has 2 cows); I want to speak to the real people and learn what makes them smile despite their conditions; I want to meet again, and for the first time, many extended relatives and family friends... the list is endless.

Over the next 3 weeks, I hope to share with you what I see and experience, in both word and via pictures. Hopefully, it'll be a good experience for you, too.

Now, I must interject and talk about my current location. I am in the Flagship lounge of American Airlines at O'Hare. This is the first class lounge. This is not a regular event for me, so I am making the most of it. In brief, I am using a their desktop computer while sitting on a high back leather seat and sipping hot pomegranate black tea in a ceramic mug. It's wonderful. There's also a lot of food and snacks, along with plenty of every kind of alcohol. I wonder if they have Blue Label (I'll check). Of course, it's all complimentary. And there are little sections in the lounge with flat screens and leather couches everywhere. There is, however, no music so it can be deafeningly silent. They really should have some classical music in the background, but who am I to complain. In short, it's no ordinary place that I am so used to knowing at O'Hare.

And, so, to India I go. Stay tuned.

No comments: